Friday, May 20, 2011

From Russia With Love ♥

This Easter I had the chance to visit the two incredible cities of Moscow and St Petersburg with my school. By the time the trip came around I was sick of being looked at by people with somewhat bemused expressions wondering what in the world had possessed me to go to Russia. However, having spent a week there I can safely say that it is a truly wonderful country (even if the people don't smile much) and the remnants of its past simply add to the cultural mish- mash I found there...



St Basil's Cathedral, Red Square, Moscow


The week began in Moscow where we spent 2 days accompanied by a fantastic guide whose knowledge of her country was incredible: I challenge any English tour guides out there to give the founding dates of the major cities in the UK! We visited the legendary St Basil's Cathedral in Red Square and I was particularly delighted to see the Faberge Eggs in the Hermitage Museum in the Kremlin. Along with visiting many other amazing historic building along the way. In terms of decoration on their buildings Britain doesn't have a patch on Russia. 




Despite this, for me the best thing was the eclectic mix between Soviet and Tsarist architecture in Moscow in particular. To be driving along past seemingly never- ending blocks of dull, grey tower blocks and then to round a corner and be faced with an imposing cathedral rising out of the greyness complete with gold plated onion domes and impossibly ornate carvings was something I never quite got used to throughout my stay.




Our stay in Moscow ended with a visit to the Red Square at night (below) and a surprisingly comfortable 440 mile train journey through the night to St Petersburg. St Petersburg was not the capital of Russia when Stalin was in power so it has not been affected by Communism in the same way Moscow has, I could totally see why St Petersburg is called "The Venice of the North," built around a series of canals and lakes with cathedrals, palaces and everyday buildings all painted in beautiful colours.


 Moscow's answer to Harrods! The world famous Gum shopping centre in the Red Sqaure, Moscow

In St Petersburg our visits included the Yusopov Palace (the murder site of the wicked Rasputin under the reign of Tsar Nicholas II), the Winter Palace and the Summer Palace among others. 

I was told before we left that no palace in England will ever compare to what I will see in St Petersburg and I agree wholeheartedly. In the Summer Palace one could find a room made entirely of amber, a ballroom covered with gold leaf and a living room made entirely of marble.

 Peter and Paul Fortress, St Petersburg

All in all the trip was one I will remember for a long time. As well as all the sight seeing we enjoyed trips the Russian equivalent of the X Factor but for Ballet, a very enjoyable evening at a Russian Folklore Show (I hope to dedicate a whole post to that evening soon) and had enough Borscht to last a lifetime!

The Winter Palace, St Petersburg
Inside the Summer Palace
The Summer Palace, in the outskirts of St Petersburg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...